Thursday, September 28, 2006

Miniature Media Master

For many of us, technology can be intimidating and sometimes downright scary. Everything from programming the VCR to trying to get our computers to do all the great things they can supposedly do can be difficult at times. Perhaps it's just that we're too old. We didn't grow up in the digital age. We're more familiar with TV's with knobs, 8-track players and transistor radios. But if you're young... ah, that's another story.

My son, Jack, is all of 4 years old. He doesn't remember life without the internet, DVR's and ipods and I'm constantly amazed by how quickly he's picked up on all sorts of technology around our house. He's a computer wiz. He navigates the internet using the mouse better than my wife and I. Yes, we have to put his favorite websites on the favorites bar, but that's only because he can't spell very well yet. Otherwise, he has no limitations.

The other day he said he wanted to show me something on the computer. He preceded to go on the "Yahoo!" search engine, type in his name and hit the "Web Search" button. He proudly showed me all of the sites that come up for "Jack." My wife and I had never taught him this, he did it on his own, apparently after observing us using "Yahoo!" Now I have to worry about what he stumbles onto in cyberspace.

Of course, even the little media masters can getting tripped up by all the options the fancy technology provides. Jack can also work our TV, DVR and DVD players, however, I noticed something strange recently when I walked in while he was watching a Star Wars movie on DVD. While all the spaceship and laser gun sounds were the same, I realized the various characters in the Star Wars universe sounded a little different. They were speaking Spanish. Jack had been watching this for quite a while. As far as I know, Jack doesn't know Spanish, but it didn't seem to be bothering him at all. Even Star Wars fans like myself know that the dialogue isn't exactly the films' strong point. I changed the DVD back to English, but then I got to thinking. Could Luke Skywalker help teach Jack another language? Hmmm... maybe this technology can be useful after all.

Posted at 5:56 AM